Wednesday, June 16, 2010

June 16, 2010: Is It Awesome?

I happened upon a great philosophy for guiding life's decisions this week.  It was a quote from a powerlifter who does an occasional column on a fitness website I follow.  It's basic, it's meatheaded, and it's genius.  "Is what I'm doing awesome?  If I ask myself that and the answer is no, then I don't do it."  So, to steal his example: jogging on a treadmill, definitely NOT awesome; running hills, awesome.  "Of course, geeks like to bust my chops with questions like, 'how do I even know if something is awesome or not?'  My answer is if you're so freaking unsure that you have to ask someone his or her opinion then the answer is that it's probably not the least bit awesome."

I applied this creed to my life this morning.  Rain was predicted, so I wasn't going to ride my motorcycle.  Jump on the metro with every other working stiff in DC?  That's not awesome; I think I'll bike.  So I felt pretty smug--after eight years in the DC area, I've finally outsmarted the oppressive commute.  Most days, I cruise into town at 80 mph in the carpool lanes on an obnoxiously loud motorcycle, zooming past everyone stuck in a ten-mile long traffic jam all the way into the city.  Awesome.  On the days I opt against the motorcycle, I'll pedal to work, getting a workout while everyone who isn't stuck in traffic is stuck together like sardines in a can on the metro.  And my pedaling commute takes the same time as a commute on metro.  That's awesome.  Lycra biking shorts?  They're the sporting world's equivalent of pantyhose.  Definitely not awesome, but sometimes we have to accept some small lame stuff in our quest for the larger goal of awesomeness. 

6 comments:

  1. just for the record, bike shorts are awesome! as long as the person wearing them isn't 100 lbs overweight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about dudes with shaved legs? I say generally, that's not awesome, but if a guy is a true die hard cyclist or he just has some mean muscle and definition, shave away. He gets a pass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. unless it's on a person's head, i would say hair is generally not awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. although for the record, i do like my husband's hairy legs and am not promoting the shaving of said legs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm telling you, seeing all sweat, dirt, hair, and ticks using said hair as a ladder on Saturday, was more than enough for me to be just fine going home and taking a Nair bath. The hair on the legs just seemed to be part of the filth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very good thought. I liked what you had to say. Most of our lives our spent doing some not so awesome activities or chores. But if they are worth it then they are awesome! I guess wearing the lycra biking shorts falls into that category. Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete