Tuesday, June 29, 2010

June 29, 2010: Does This Mean I'm an Environmentalist?


I ride a bike to work as often as I can motivate myself to do it, my other ride gets almost 40 mpg, and when forced by circumstances beyond my control, I take public transportation. My transportation alone already makes me "greener" than the average self-congratulatory environmentalist, but I realized as I sat down to eat tonight that my dinner surely must put me over the top into the greener-than-green-people camp.  Everything on my plate tonight came from within a mile of my house, and I didn't have to limit myself to crunching on vegetables while deluding myself into believing my green crunchies were a complete meal. What's the lesson then? Perhaps it's that environmentalism is a religion as much as a lifestyle and that the reality is that adherents of that religion actually share more lifestyle choices with those who reject it than either group would think.  They just attach different labels to those choices (e.g., "green" vs. fresh, tasty and healthy) and make them for different reasons. Some eat local to serve at Gaia's feet while some do the same thing, albeit with a higher protein intake, simply because they prefer the taste and enjoy the satisfaction of being able to provide for themselves. ACBCS. I think the two groups should just be friends and share vegetables with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment