Friday, July 16, 2010

July 16, 2010: Why I Wish I Could Retire Now


Start 'em while they're young.  Here is my boy getting comfortable with a ski rope at 9 months.  Hopefully we can keep this guy around boats and water enough that he won't be too scared to give skiing a try himself in a few years.  I went in to the office early yesterday and worked late last night so we could tag along with our friends to Lake Anna for a day.  They're down there for a week with their family, but they were able to get the house they rented a day early, so we went down to hang out and get a few turns behind the boat in before the rest of their family arrived.  Good times.

I was very lucky in college in that one of my best buds had a competition ski boat, and we hit the lake as often as we possibly could.  I got a lot of practice.  I also became accustomed to a double booted water ski. It's a lot easier to get into a tight fitting double boot when you're standing on a big swim platform, and it's impossible to get one on in the water.  We improvised on the Ds' boat, because it doesn't have a swim platform. I put it on in the boat, and then Mr. D grabbed the ski and guided it up and out of the boat as I pulled myself to the side of the boat.  That way, I was able to get the ski on and get out of the boat without banging it on anything or anybody.  You gotta do what it takes, right?  I would have had a great video that I might have posted here, but my lovely wife somehow managed to not push the button when she thought she was filming me. Better luck next time. I'm not entirely sure why, but everything I love most seems to really get the blood pumping, and water skiing is perhaps on top of that list.  I can't get enough of it.  A day at the lake is as fun for me as fun gets, but it also makes me wish I could retire today, let alone buy a boat!

1 comment:

  1. You look like you are getting ready to water ski on your head. Now that would be pretty innovative. Don't forget about getting dragged around behind old "Yabba Dabba Doo!" Those were the good old days! We miss having our kids with us when we go boating. Mom

    ReplyDelete